Wednesday

Pride & Prejudice - Where it all began...


 


A while back though I took a notion to read Pride & Prejudice for the first time.   I'm a big kindle fan but for this book I wanted my first time to be special :P

I hunted down and bought a very nice vintage hardback, complete with gilt trim and (faux) leather and settled down to read...then I laid it aside and had an attack of doubt.  What if I hated it?  EVERYONE else seems to love it and the pressure to get sucked in
by it felt huge.  I decided to delay reading it until I felt I was in the right mood for it to grab me.  Eventually I decided that even if I hated it I'd just say I loved it so that nobody would think I was stupid :D

Mkay, now where did that fancy book go?  *sigh*  Nowhere to be found.  It's like the thing has vanished into thin air.  Ah well, never mind, my kindle is special too, I suppose.

Nope, two chapters into the kindle edition and I'm not feeling it.  I really need this one in paper.

So, fast forward a few weeks spent checking charity shops for any copy I could lay my hands on without any success and I take myself online. 
I'm browsing a few different covers when I spy the mother lode...  Soon as I saw it I knew that was The Special I had been looking for.

It's just perfect.  It's published by a company called Pulp! The Classics and their covers have all been given a vintage re-do with cute tag-lines to match.  This one has Colin Firth as the inspiration :D

Pride & Prejudice was their first release and although they're quite a new press they've got a nice selection of classics and a few more near to publishing date.

The text of the books is the exact classic's text, it's just the covers that are different.  They all have the coloured page edges like some vintage paperbacks used to have as standard (Pride & Prejudice has red edges) and are made to look beat up and stained on the covers.  So cute.

I love my P&P copy so that I'm saving up for all the others too.  LOVE.  THEM.

I was reading it in the hospital waiting room last week and two separate ladies came over to me and asked about it :)  It's a great conversation starter, lol.

Anyhoo....the story... I LOVE IT!!  No lie, I really do, lol.  I'm working through it slowly to make it last but I'm happy to announce that I really like it.  Darcy is an arse and I don't blame Elizabeth for turning him down but I'm just at the part where she's starting to melt a little towards him and it's great!  I'm going to watch all the dramatizations and movies next and have stock piled the spin off  knock off books about Pemberly and Longbourne and vampires, etc :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...